A MCDONALD’S branch has been shut down after mice were discovered in the kitchen by health inspectors.
Customers at the outlet in Leytonstone, East London, were asked to leave when Environmental Health officers found rodents and hundreds of droppings.
Officers discovered a dead mouse in a storage cupboard as well as surfaces of the fast food chain restaurant being covered with mice poo.
Inspectors also found a bacon slice and other food debris on the filthy floor.
Waltham Forest Council sent food inspectors to the site following a customer complaint about rodents in the restaurant.
Councillor Clyde Loakes, who oversees food hygiene in the borough, said: “Customers need to be able to dine in confidence and safety and we will not hesitate to act when businesses do not meet their responsibilities.
“Mice carry a range of diseases which can infect humans and cause real harm.
“I am glad that McDonald’s has acknowledged their failings in this incident and are cooperating with Council officers.”
McDonald’s has agreed to pay Waltham Forest Council’s full costs of £1,821 for the formal closure action.
A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order was granted by Thames Magistrates Court against the branch on Thursday, which means the restaurant cannot open until it is completely a rodent and risk-free zone.
It is believed to be the first case of its kind against the fast food chain in more than 20 years.
A McDonald’s spokesman said: “Cleanliness and hygiene is of the utmost importance to us.
“As soon as this issue was brought to our attention we worked with our pest prevention partner to take immediate action including extensively cleaning the restaurant and completing a number of structural works to ensure that any hygiene issues are permanently dealt with.
“We are working closely with Environmental Health Officers to ensure that the restaurant can be safely reopened as soon as possible.”
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?