A COUPLE has claimed they were “eaten alive” by bed bugs but the hotel manager said some guests are “looking for an excuse not to pay”.
The guests of The Roker Hotel, in Blackpool, said they woke up with bed bug bites after a night sleeping in the “filthy” hotel.
In a TripAdvisor review a guest said: “The morning after we got there, my wife and I were bitten by bed bugs and so were our friends who went with us.”
The manager of the Roker Hotel, Roberto, told LancsLive: “You could see they were looking for an excuse not to pay, people are always looking for an excuse not to pay.
“It was very obvious they just wanted to stay for free.
“We have been here for 20 years, we have regular customers that come in quite often.”
Out of 898 hotels in Blackpool, The Roker Hotel is rated 53rd worst.
Out of its 267 reviews, 19 rated the hotel as “Excellent” and 32 rated it as “Very Good”.
But 185 reviews brand the B&B “Terrible”.
On average it costs £30 per night and this includes free parking, breakfast and WiFi.
Charlotte May shared her Roker Hotel experience on “Blackpool Nightmare Holidays” Facebook group.
Charlotte claimed: “The beds were just remade for next arrivals, not changed.
“Dirty towels and bedding, food on the floor and bed bugs.
Charlotte’s photos show mould on the walls and brown stains on bedsheets.
She snapped pictures of small black bugs near the buttons on a mattress.
Charlotte has reported the hotel to Environmental Health and Trading Standards.
She was refunded for her stay.
The two-star, family-run hotel, on New South Promenade is a short walk from Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Another guest, Alison M, in a TripAdvisor review, said: “The room was cold, felt damp, and in poor condition.
“Bed bugs were found the next morning.”
But Roberto said guests were making excuses and that everything is in order.
Roberto added: “In this hotel, we give them everything for £30. We’re not saying we are the Hilton, we are a two-star hotel.”
Roberto denied the presence of bed bugs in the hotel but admitted he had spent over £1,200 a long time ago to make sure everything was perfectly fine.