Urgent warning over house fires as shocking video reveals how easily a blaze can start

Urgent warning over house fires as shocking video reveals how easily a blaze can start

A SHOCKING video has revealed how easily a blaze can start – sparking an urgent warning.

In the clip a small cloud of smoke can be seen rising above a sofa from a small patch of light.

A shocking video has surfaced online of how easily house blazes can start
A shocking video has surfaced online of how easily house blazes can startCredit: tiktok
Cornwall woman Lydia Cooke is now warning others to be careful, after her mirror almost started a fire
Cornwall woman Lydia Cooke is now warning others to be careful, after her mirror almost started a fireCredit: tiktok

The video, which was posted to Tiktok by Lydia Cooke, reads: “I was today years old when I learnt how house fires can start.”

Lydia captioned the clip: “*Commence house fire fear*”

The Cornwall woman then created a second video urgently warning others to be careful while explaining where the smoke was coming from.

She reveals that a mirror was reflecting sunlight and heat onto the small patch of her sofa, almost seeing it go up in flames.

Read more on fires

Woman, 37, charged with murder and arson after man found dead in house fire
Mum, 28, died in house blaze after a child set fire to a teddy bear

Lydia says: “This is the mirror that caused the reflection, it’s one of those kind of make up mirrors that flips and one side is magnified.

Pointing at the magnified side Lydia says: “I’m assuming it was this side that was up.

“Obviously you can kind of see how it happens now.”

She explains how earlier in the day she had been sitting at the window doing her make up.

Most read in The Sun

Adding: “It was absolutely chucking it down, there was no signs of sun whatsoever.

“And I’d put the mirror down and gone to the kitchen to do some work.

“A couple of hours later realised how sunny it was, turned around and just saw this like weird smoke coming from the sofa so obviously had no idea what was going on, thought I’d been burning incense and lost my mind and forgotten about it.”

Lydia said she started recording “evidence” for her landlord to show the damage to the couch was her fault.

She continued: “Then I realised that it was the mirror, and that I’d put it down earlier that day.”

Lydia explained the sun was “in the complete wrong space, beaming onto the mirror that I’d placed randomly in the complete wrong place as well.

Fires caused in this way are becoming more and more apparent.

Mark ThomasFire service

“I’m just so glad I caught it early, and that everyone else can learn from my mistakes.

“I hope that this helps everyone, it was super scary, I’m very lucky to have been at home when it happened and I will be learning from my mistakes.”

Earlier this year firefighters issued a public warning after two massive house fires were found to have started from mirror reflections.

At the time, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service prevention group manager Mark Thomas said: “Fires caused in this way are becoming more and more apparent.

“Both of these fires were started by the reflected light from the sun, which directed rays from magnifying mirrors onto combustible items.

“Take a look around your home – if you have magnifying mirrors or other items such as glass ornaments or paperweights, please make sure they are kept out of direct sunlight or where the sun can reflect from them onto other items.

Most read in News

“Never leave shaving or vanity mirrors on windowsills – this is a recipe for disaster.

“It’s also really important to keep aerosols or any other flammable items out of direct sunlight too.”

Follow these tips to stay safe from fire

  • Keep magnifying mirrors out of direct sunlight
  • Never put glass ornaments or paperweights on window sills or in direct sunlight
  • Make sure shaving or vanity mirrors are not left on window sills
  • Be aware of objects in your home that may be exposed to direct sunlight
  • You should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home
  • Consider installing additional alarms in rooms with electrical appliances or sleeping areas
  • Test your smoke alarms once a week
  • In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.

For fire safety advice, or if you do not have working smoke alarms in your home, please call 0800 731 5958.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/feed/

Jane Matthews

Leave a Reply