PRINCE Harry has put Invictus Games athletes at risk of a terror attack by boasting about his 25 Taliban kills, experts say.
The Duke of Sussex has been accused of causing a security nightmare ahead of the event for wounded troops.
Harry, 38, admitted in his memoir Spare that killing 25 Taliban fighters in Afghanistan was like taking “chess pieces” off the board.
The former Apache pilot, who served two tours of the country, claimed he did not see the enemy as people and did not feel pride or shame over his kill tally.
But veterans have warned Harry’s comments could put the Invictus Games, which is he patron of, in danger.
Admiral Lord West, former head of the Navy, told the Sunday Mirror: “The Invictus Games is very much labelled to him and so I would have thought the threat level there will definitely be higher.
Read more on Prince Harry
“There will be serious security issues because of what he said. Measures will have to be put in place to protect the veterans.
“And there will be people who, given half the chance, will want to do something.”
Lord West branded Harry’s remarks as “very stupid”.
He added: “The Taliban will be reading it thinking there’s this prince calling us all chess pieces and is quite happy about killing us.
Most read in The Sun
“And there will be a lot of people, I am sure, in Islamic State and other terrorist organisations, who will think this is something which should be avenged.”
The Games are due to take place in September in Dusseldorf, Germany.
Former head of royal protection Dai Davies suggested the event could be targeted by a terrorist who is now able to get to Harry.
While Stefan Bisanz, who has advised the German Federal Ministry of Defence, compared the Royal to Salman Rushdie, who was subject to a fatwa for novel The Satanic Verses.
He added: “I would say that, based on what he has just done, the security threat to Prince Harry is now almost as great as to Salman Rushdie.
“He has potentially even put himself right up at the top of their hitlist.”
It comes after insiders previously said Harry’s confession has significantly heightened security concerns for the entire Royal Family.
In his memoir, Harry said he gunned down Taliban militants when he flew Apache helicopters in southern Helmand Province in 2012.
He rewatched films of his kills from the gunship’s nose-mounted camera when he returned to base at Camp Bastion.
Harry said the technology meant: “I could always say precisely how many enemy combatants I’d killed”.
He wrote: “So my number: 25. It wasn’t a number that gave me any satisfaction. But neither was it a number that made me feel ashamed.
Read More on The Sun
“In the heat and fog of combat, I didn’t think of those 25 as people. I’d been trained to ‘other-ise’ them.”
The Taliban retaliated by branding Harry a “loser” and demanded he be brought before an “international court” for his “crimes”.