THIS is the shocking moment a property was engulfed in flames – seconds after “popping” sounds were heard downstairs.
Five people were taken to hospital after the incident in Halifax, West Yorkshire, at around 1am on February 24.
The moment, caught on video, shows the man frantically running downstairs to investigate the noises before the horror explosion takes place, resulting in a white screen.
The footage is then restored, revealing an inferno engulfing the property in flames and setting off a smoke alarm.
The kitchen was left severely damaged from the smoke and heat.
All of the victims suffered smoke inhalation, with one treated for burns to the mouth and inside the throat.
read more in news
None of the injuries are believed to be life-threatening.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) say the fire was caused by an electric motorbike which was being charged in the house.
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The video shows the owner rushing downstairs in the middle of the night after being woken by a popping noise, created by the batteries of an electric motorbike being charged inside the house.
“The sound indicated the batteries were failing due to thermal runaway – this is when too much heat is generated within a battery.
Most read in The Sun
“Seconds later fire dramatically erupts and sets off the smoke alarm.”
Fire Officer John Cavalier outlined the dangers posed by lithium batteries.
He said: “While fires involving lithium batteries are common, having a video showing the violence of the fire’s development is not.
“It’s clear to see in the video that the fire is absolutely horrifying – none of us would want this to happen in our homes.”