Shocking moment house is rocked by HUGE explosion while electric motorbike was being charged – as five people are rushed to hospital
- Five people were rushed to hospital after the ‘horrifying’ house fire in February
- Fire service released the footage to show the danger of lithium batteries
This is the moment a home was engulfed in flames mere seconds after ‘popping’ noises were heard from the kitchen.
Five people were rushed to hospital after the ‘horrifying’ house fire in Illingworth, West Yorkshire, at around 1am on February 24.
All of the casualties had smoke inhalation, with one occupant suffering burns to their mouth and windpipe. None of the injuries were life threatening.
The property’s kitchen was severely damaged from the smoke and heat, which also affected other parts of house as doors were left open as people escaped from the blaze.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service said they released the shocking footage to educate the public on the danger of lithium batteries.
In the video, a popping noise can be heard coming from the downstairs of a home in Illingworth, West Yorkshire
Mere seconds later, the home is engulfed in a huge inferno which appears to fill the entire room
The homeowner can be seen rushing downstairs in the middle of the night after being awoken by the popping noise, created by the batteries of an electric motorbike being charged inside the house.
The sound indicated the batteries were failing due to thermal runaway, which is when too much heat is generated within a battery.
Seconds later, the downstairs of the home is engulfed in a huge inferno and the fire alarm is set off.
The fire was caught on footage, and five people were rushed to hospital with smoke-related injuries
Watch manager John Cavalier, who is with the fire investigation unit at the service, said: ‘While fires involving lithium batteries are common, having a video showing the violence of the fire’s development is not.
‘It’s clear to see in the video that the fire is absolutely horrifying – none of us would want this to happen in our homes.’
He added: ‘Because lithium batteries can be found in a range of items, we frequently attend fires involving them. They can be found in cars, bikes, scooters, laptops, phones, and e-cigarettes, amongst many other items.
‘Any other type of fire we deal with has usually developed slowly, and people are able to get out quickly.
‘However, battery fires are so ferocious and spread so quickly that there isn’t as much time to escape.’
He warned that lithium batteries should not be left to charge unattended, or stored in hallways and exits.
WM Cavalier also advised to unplug chargers when the batteries are at full capacity.