- The 21-year-old was lying on a hospital bed awake as medics hacked away
- The metal rods narrowly missed the patient’s liver, heart and bowel
A 21-year-old man is lucky to be alive after two six-foot metal rods pierced through the centre of his body after he fell from a multistorey building.
The man, who is from India and has not been named, had one pole through the left side of his chest and another penetrating across his lower stomach.
The injuries, described as ‘unsurvivable’ by doctors, shattered his hip bone, pierced a lung, penetrated his diaphragm and went through his rib cage.
They narrowly missed the patient’s liver, heart and bowel.
A shocking video shows the moment surgeons at Seven Star Hospital in Nagpur, central India, used a saw to cut the ends of each pole after the patient was resuscitated.
The man fell while working, though details of his job weren’t shared.
The 44-second clip showed the man lying face up on a hospital bed some medics held each pole and others hacked through the metal rods with an angle grinder.
Each pole was 16mm wide — around the same width as five pound coins stacked on top of each other.
Doctors said they had to cut the poles because they were too long to fit in the lifts going to the emergency theatres.
The hospital report said: ‘It was very difficult to remove the lower rod as it was fixed tightly and the patient’s [clothing] was fixed inside the bone along with the rod.
‘It [had] to be hammered from the opposite side by orthopaedic surgeon, with great difficulty rod was finally removed.’
When they opened up the patient during surgery, medics said his ‘hip bone was shattered into pieces’ and narrowly missed his heart and liver.
Despite cutting the rods before the procedure, medics had to whip the machinery out again during surgery because they were still too big.
The surgeons explained that the huge size of the rods made it difficult for them to stand and operate safely.
The accident happened while the man was working near Azam Shah Chowk, Central Avenue, Nagpur, at around 1.35pm on August, 19.
The man, who needed to be supported by a ventilator for two days, was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit and was sent home earlier this month.