- Players previously faced a one-year PGA ban if they participated in LIV events
- But the PGA will allow its players to go to LIV promotion event in the UAE
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
The PGA Tour has surprisingly determined that its players can partake in a LIV Golf promotion event next month.
Previously, PGA players faced a one-year ban if they participated in LIV events, which were considered ‘unauthorized.’
However, Tour players will not be punished if they compete in the LIV Golf promotion event, as the PGA has said in a statement that the event at Abu Dhabi Golf Club will be considered a ‘qualifying event only.’
‘Based on the information publicly available regarding the LIV Golf Promotion event, it is determined to be a qualifying event only and not a part of an unauthorized series,’ the Tour said.
‘Therefore, the LIV Golf Promotion event is not categorized as an ‘unauthorized tournament.’ This classification is subject to change should the details of the event change.’
The news was first reported by Sports Illustrated.
The top three finishers in the promotion event will be awarded a spot in the LIV tour for next year.
It will take place across Dec 8-10, with a $1.5million purse.
Earlier this week, it was reported by Alan Shipnuck that the proposed merger between the PGA and LIV was falling apart.
The agreement would essentially see the PGA Tour, Europe’s DP World Tour and LIV Golf come under one umbrella in a new for-profit company called ‘PGA Tour Enterprises’ in which the PIF would be a minority investor.
Byt Shipnuck claimed that New York-based private equity firm Fenway Partners has submitted a bid that could usurp the PIF’s.
The Tour is said to be committed to a new business model but not necessarily with PIF, according to Shipnuck.
He added that the framework agreement was aspirational rather than ‘binding’.